Menu / Cynnwys

Pontypridd 25 vs RGC 20

Sat 7th April, 14:30, Sardis Road

RGC made early incursions into the home half, threatening a score after latching on to a spilled pass, but the Ponty defence holding out. It was the home team that broke the deadlock on ten minutes as outside half Diggy Bird hoisted over a long range penalty. The visitors were committing errors, allowing Ponty to settle into their stride whilst working off a solid scrum platform. RGC again advanced and following a period of pressure were rewarded as winger Rhys Williams crossed for a try in the corner.

Ponty regained momentum through a Gary Williams charge, with scrum half Jamie Hill then taking a quick tap penalty. The home pack were dominant in the scrums but unable as yet to forge a breakthrough, and conceding points as RGC launched a dynamic counter, full back Dion Jones crossing wide out with Jacob Botica’s conversion attempt rebounding off the post. Ponty finally found a cutting edge as Diggy Bird instigated a kick and chase attack, winger Dale Stuckey up in support to score.

The home team were aggressive in defence, and able to turn that defence into attack, working off a solid set piece platform. A Jamie Hill break and a Diggy Bird interception gave Ponty further momentum, and when winger Dale Stuckey was impeded off the ball, RGC replacement Danny Cross was yellow carded. Ponty maintained pressure and from a line-out drive sent hooker Huw Dowden over for a try which Bird converted, taking his side into the interval with a 15pts to 10 lead.

Ponty resumed on the attack from the restart, a series of concerted shunts to their opponents’ line finally paying off as flanker Rhys Shellard went over from close range, his try converted from near the touchline by Bird. RGC kept in contention as outside half Botica put over a penalty but that score cancelled out by a similar effort from Bird as the visitors continued to serially infringe. The game edged into its final quarter with Ponty getting the better of exchanges and RGC having winger Iolo Evans dispatched to the sin-bin.

The home pack launched a series of concerted drives into their opponents’ twenty-two before RGC struck back with a counter threat but called back for a forward pass. The visitors were striving hard to make an impact as the clock ticked down into its final ten minutes, but Ponty grafting hard in defence and battling for turnovers. It was the home team now who were heavily penalised, and from a five metre scrum RGC claimed a last gasp score as no8 Tim Grey barged over, his try converted by Botica. The Ponty defence held firm into injury time, doing enough to protect a winning lead of 25pts to 20 after a hard fought encounter.


15.Lloyd Rowlands. 14.Matthew Billett (George Thomas). 13.Geraint Walsh. 12.Gary Williams. 11.Dale Stuckey. 10.Diggy Bird. 9.Jamie Hill.

1.Ian George (Huw Owen). 2.Huw Dowden (Will Haly). 3.Will Davies-King (Joe Popple). 4.Sean Moore. 5.Chris Dicomidis – cpt (Hemi Barnes). 6.Morgan Sieniawski. 7.Rhys Shellard (Sion Edwards). 8.Alun Lawrence.

Tries: Stuckey (27); Dowden (35); Shellard (42)

Cons: Bird (37, 43)

Pens: Bird (10, 56)

Rygbi Gogledd Cymru:

15.Dion Jones (Danny Cross). 14.Harri Evans (Iolo Evans). 13.Tom Hughes. 12.Tiaan Loots. 11.Rhys Williams. 10.Jacob Botica. 9.Alex Schwarz (Efan Jones).

1.Joe Simpson (Curtis Reynolds). 2.Evan Yardley – cpt (George Roberts). 3.Sam Wainwright (Jordan Scott). 4.Henri Williams. 5.Robin Williams (Calum Donelly). 6.Andrew Williams (Rhys A Williams). 7.Will Bryan. 8.Tim Grey.

Tries: Rh. Williams (16); Jones (24); Grey (79)

Con: Botica (80)

Pen: Botica (47)

Golden Bob man of the match: Jamie Hill

WRU man of the match: Ian George

Referee:  Mike English

Attendance: 1,420