Menu / Cynnwys
Return to News

Title chasing Ponty Youth post big win against the Met

With the Blues A League campaign drawing to a close, Pontypridd Youth needed a win as they hosted Cardiff Met at Sardis Road on Saturday 21st April. The aim was to maintain momentum in their bid to clinch the league title going into the last round of games on the following weekend.

Ponty Youth knew they were in for another tough encounter and the early exchanges lived up to expectations with Cardiff Met coming off the line quickly in defence and forcing errors from the home team. On the counter attack the students ran hard straight lines with ball in hand, making good yardage with each phase of possession.

It was the Met who struck first with a successful penalty attempt, but Ponty replying just five minutes later with a well worked converted try in the corner.  The visitors gained another penalty decision from the re start to narrow the home lead to a single point. As the first half drew to a close it was Ponty who took advantage of their opportunities with two quick tries both superbly worked by outside half Bailey Roberts, the first a chip and chase which he finished off and the second a half break followed by a one handed pass that put centre Ioan Evans in under the posts. Ponty went in at the interval holding a 19pts to 6 lead.

The home team started the second half very much where they left off and gradually gained control of the game to add valuable points on the board. In a fluent display of attacking rugby Ponty ran in tries scored by Shaun Webber, Dafydd Smith, Bailey Roberts, Rhodri Smith, Cameron McMillan, Dafydd Lloyd and Ethan Fackrell, with Rhodri Smith and Fackrell adding conversions.

Cardiff Met however stuck to their guns in both defence and attack, but unable to get on to the score board through Ponty’s hard working scramble defence. The final score reflected a fine performance by Ponty Youth, victors by 46pts to 6 with playmaker Bailey Roberts nominated as man of the match.