Menu / Cynnwys
Return to News

Pontypridd RFC 43 : 25 Newport RFC – MATCH REPORT

Pontypridd RFC 43 : 25 Newport RFC – Match Report

Friday 23rd November 2018, 19:15, Sardis Road Principality Premiership

On a crisp Friday evening the house of pain welcomed Newport RFC. Some late changes to the Ponty line-up saw Rob Jones come in for the injured Huw Dowden and Joe Page providing cover on the bench.

Newport won the coin toss and elected to kick off which started at a frantic pace with both sides trying to gain the upper hand, however it was Ponty who dominated the first scrum providing Jamie Hill with a platform to launch the Ponty backs.

Newport however were the first to cross the try line in the 2nd minute, but the try was disallowed and ruled to have been grounded in touch.

Not a team to be deterred Newport managed to get on the scoreboard first with a penalty in the 6th minute.

Working together and showing some superb passing skills, Ponty hit back 7 minutes later with a well worked try by Alex Webber converted by Lewis K Williams.

The 17th minute saw Newport fight back with a try from the breakdown by Jon Morris which was successfully converted by Mat O’Brien to put the away team in the lead once again. Unfortunately for Newport, this lead only lasted 2 minutes with Corey Howells bulldozing his way through the Newport defence and over the line to put Ponty back in the lead along with a successful conversion by Lewis K Williams.

With Ponty leading 14 – 10 an indiscretion at the breakdown by Ponty in the 21st minute gave Newport a penalty and a further 3 point to bring them within one of the home team.

A solid catch and drive by Ponty saw Rob Jones bundled over the try line in the corner during the 26th minute which was again successfully converted by Lewis K Williams who was on top form with his kicking tonight.

Following a period of pressure from the Ponty team, front rower Will Davies-King was next on the score sheet for the home team making the score 26-13.

Straight from the re-start Ponty’s forward and backs linked up well with the ball passing through several pairs of hands to send flying full back Dale Stuckey across the Newport try line for his first try of the game, again Lewis K Williams added the conversion to send the teams in at half time.

Half Time Pontypridd RFC 33 : 13 Newport RFC

The second half starts with Ponty being on the back foot, after Jamie Hill is sent off with a yellow for a deliberate knock on. With Ponty down a man Newport saw their opportunity and worked the ball wide to create a two man overlap which resulted in a try for them.

Momentum shifted in Newports favour and saw some superb passing skills resulting in another try in the 54th minute narrowing Ponty’s lead to only 8 points. Newport were then reduced to 14 men in

the 59th minute when replacement Haydn Simons received a yellow card following an infringement at the breakdown.

Ponty taking advantage of the extra man passed wide to Dale Stuckey who crossed for his 2nd try in the 62nd minute, leaving the score 38 – 25 to the home team.

Following several replacements for the home team the 68th minute saw a superb steal by Dafydd Lockyer inside the home team’s 22 with an impressive offload to Alex Webber who scorched down the wing to score his second try of the evening which was swiftly followed by a conversion from out wide by Lewis K Williams extending Ponty’s lead to 43 – 25.

Ponty’s defence held firm through the final 12 minutes to the delight of the home supporters denying Newport a final try and a bonus point.

Full Time Pontypridd RFC 43 : 25 Newport RFC

Man of the Match – Alex Webber