Menu / Cynnwys

Newport 36 vs Pontypridd 7

Thu 17th February, 19:30, Newport Stadium
Indigo Premiership

Pontypridd suffered a 36-7 defeat to a strong Newport outfit at Newport Stadium on Thursday evening.

Newport took an early lead when Luke Crane crossed after some good work from Cameron Lewis. Will Reed’s conversion attempt was successful and the Black & Ambers lead by seven.

The home side were on the attack again after a successful 50/22 but a strong Ponty scrum from a Newport knock on enabled the away side to clear their lines.

Ponty were reduced to 14 men when Joe Miles was sent to the sin bin following a lengthy discussion between the TMO and the referee, Ian Davies.

With Ponty down a man Newport were piling on the pressure and got their second try of the game when Rhys Jenkins crashed over from close range. Reed’s conversion was good and Newport led 14-0.

The Black & Ambers had their third of the game when prop Louis Jones crossed after a break from Matt O’Brien. Reed’s conversion struck the upright.

Ponty came agonisingly close to getting their first try of the game but some strong Newport maul defence won the home side a turnover and then won a penalty from the resulting scrum.

Dale Stuckey took Ponty into Newport’s 22 following a good break and some continued ill-discipline from the home side saw flanker Kyle Tayler sent to the sin bin.

However, it was Newport who got the next try when Dafydd Smith crossed in the corner after a loose ball was kicked down to Ponty’s 22. The conversion from Reed was missed.

Half Time – Newport 24-0 Pontypridd

Pontypridd started the second half well but were unable to cross the whitewash, Cole Swannack coming the closest after using his pace down the wing.

Newport received another yellow card when Dafydd Smith was sent to the sin bin.

Despite Ponty looking like the more dangerous team in the opening stages of the second half, it was Newport who got the half’s first try through an interception try from Matt O’Brien. Reed’s conversion was good and extended the home sides lead.

Ponty continued to pile the pressure on Newport but were unable to find that elusive try due to Newport’s strong defence.

Ponty finally got the try they deserved when Dale Stuckey intercepted a Newport pass and crossed under the posts. Ceri Morris added the extras.

However, Newport soon hit back and crossed for a try through Matthew Powell. The conversion drifted wide. That saw the end of the scoring for the evening with the Black & Ambers sealing a bonus point victory.

Full Time – Newport 36-7 Pontypridd

Match report – Adam Cleary


15. Morgan Richards. 14. Cole Swannack. 13. Bradley Roderick. 12. Ceri Morris. 11. Dale Stuckey. 10. Jake Lloyd (Joe Davies). 9. Joel Raikes (Dafydd Buckland).

1.Tom Devine (Ben Stephens). 2. Nathan Huish (Jack Walker). 3. Tom Harper (Morgan Bosanko). 4. James Little (Jack Pope). 5. Chris Dicomidis (Cai James). 6. Kristian Parker (c). 7. Cally James. 8. Joe Miles (Sam Evans).

Subs: 16. Ieuan Morris. 17. Tom Devine. 18. Tom Harper. 19. Jack Pope. 20. Sion Parry. 21. Cai James. 22. Dafydd Buckland. 23. Garyn Payne.

Try: Dale Stuckey

Conversion: Morris


15. Dai Richards. 14. Dafydd Smith. 13. Cameron Lewis. 12. Matt O’Brien ©. 11. Elliot Frewen. 10. Will Reed. 9. Luke Crane.

1. Louis Jones. 2. Will Griffiths. 3. Garin Harris. 4. Joe Bartlett. 5. Josh Skinner. 6. Rhys Jenkins. 7. Kyle Taylor. 8. Ben Roach

Subs 16. Lewis Smout. 17. Henry Palmer. 18. Dan Suter. 19. Andrew Mann. 20. George Young. 21. Geraint Watkin. 22. Matthew Powell. 23. George Gladding.

Tries: Crane, Jenkins, Jones, Smith, O’Brien, Powell

Conversions: Reed x 4


Referee: Ian Davies

Assistant referees: 1 Elliot Mayer, 2 Gareth Davies, 3 Julian Smith

TMO: Adam Jones