Menu / Cynnwys
Return to News

Match Report – Pontypridd v London Welsh

Pontypridd got their 2022/23 pre-season campaign off to a bright start with a comprehensive 73-7  victory over London Welsh at Sardis Road.

Pontypridd took an early lead when Sam Hayman picked up a loose ball in the London Welsh 22 and crossed under the posts. The conversion from Matt Bancroft was good and Ponty led by seven.

Hayman came close to getting his second of the afternoon when he kicked through a loose ball before running from half way but referee Adam Jones adjudged the ball to have gone dead before Hayman got his hand to it.

Ponty soon had their second of the afternoon when Dale Stuckey scored a fine individual try following a break in midfield. Bancroft converted to extend the home side’s lead.

Ponty’s scrum was providing a great attacking platform and they made it count when centre Tommy Morgan crossed following a dominant scrum. Bancroft converted and that saw the end of the first 20 minute period.

Soon after the second 20 minute period began Ponty crossed in the corner for their fourth of the afternoon. The conversion was missed and Ponty led 26-0.

Ponty were showing good attacking prowess and crossed for their fifth of the afternoon after some powerful running from Tommy Morgan. The conversion was good and Ponty extended their lead.

London Welsh had their best attacking opportunity of the first half with a rare inroad into Ponty’s 22 but a poor pass was intercepted and Ponty ran the length of the field to score under the posts. The conversion was good and Ponty led 40-0.

London Welsh got on the scoreboard when scrum half Hywel Williams dummied at the base of a ruck and crossed the line. The conversion from Dafydd Manley was good and that saw the end of the scoring in the second quarter.

HALF TIME – Pontypridd 40-7 London Welsh

After a scrappy start to the second half, Pontypridd got the first points of the second half after a powerful burst saw Ponty break through some resolute London Welsh defence.

Soon after the home side crossed again in the corner after a nice passing move cut London Welsh apart.

Ponty were beginning to make the most of the tiring defence from London Welsh and managed to cross for their ninth of the afternoon. The extras were added and Ponty led 61-7 as the whistle blew for the end of the third quarter.

Ponty got their 10th try of the afternoon and their first of the fourth quarter after a lovely chip and chase move. The conversion was good and extend Ponty’s lead further.

In the last play of the game, Ponty got their 11th and final try after some good handling kept the ball alive in the London Welsh 22. The conversion drifted wide meaning the full time score finished 73-7 in favour of the home side.

FULL TIME – Pontypridd 73-7 London Welsh (13/8/2022)

Match report – Adam Cleary