Menu / Cynnwys

Pontypridd 29 vs Bedwas 20

Sat 30th December, 14:30, Sardis Road
Principality Premiership

Bedwas made ground through a strong maul, setting up a position for outside half Steff Jones to kick a penalty with just two minutes gone. Ponty’s response was immediate and emphatic, launching a wide attack for winger Lewis Williams to touch down by the corner flag. It remained a close fought encounter for the first ten minutes with play confined to the area between the twenty-two lines.

Ponty were attempting to up the tempo of their game, working off a strong scrum platform, but their line-out at times failing to function. A quick tap penalty taken by scrum half Wayne Evans gave the home team further impetus before conceding a turnover. Persistence finally told as Ponty played the ball through many hands, outside half Ceri Sweeney up in support to cross for a try which he then converted.

Ponty continued to press against a Bedwas side depleted by the sin-binning of lock James Richards for a deliberate knock-on, and following a series of shunts towards the line, saw Ceri Sweeney sniping over for his second try which he also converted. The visitors struck back after stealing the ball in a tackle, winger Adam Williams racing clear from his own half to score. Handling errors, miss-placed passes and injury delays did little to enhance the quality of the game, which reached its half way stage with Ponty holding a 19pts to 8 advantage.

A pirouetting break by Ponty winger Alex Webber set the second period alight, but the move abruptly halted by a stray pass. The home side continued to apply pressure, and launching an attack from the base of a scrum, sent prop Corey Domachowski crashing over from close range, his try securing the bonus point.

Errors were still being committed with the referee’s whistle prominent, Bedwas going close to scoring but the ball spilled on the try line. The visitors continued to press against a defiant Ponty defence, who then countered with a kick and rush attack. It was Bedwas who retaliated as they again stole possession, replacement Connor Edwards setting off on a weaving run to evade the home cover defence and score a try which winger Lewis Evans converted.

The game picked up momentum into its final ten minutes with a series of attacks and counter attacks, Ponty taking risks in their own half and conceding the ball, but Bedwas unable to capitalise. A scintillating break by Alex Webber stoked the dying embers of the game, the Ponty winger crossing for a fine try. The final word however went to Bedwas following an injury time interception near half-way, Steff Jones crossing for a consolation try out wide, but Ponty having done enough to nail the victory by 29pts to 20.


15.Dale Stuckey (Geraint Walsh). 14.Alex Webber. 13.Cameron Lewis. 12.Dafydd Lockyer – cpt. 11.Lewis Williams. 10.Ceri Sweeney (Diggy Bird). 9.Wayne Evans (Jamie Hill).

1.Corey Domachowski (Huw Owen). 2.Iestyn Harris (Joe Page). 3.Kieran Assiratti (Joe Popple). 4.Josh Hawkins. 5.Chris Dicomidis. 6.Sean Moore (Harvey Connolly). 7.Ross Morgan (Sion Edwards). 8.Alun Lawrence.

Tries: Williams (3); Sweeney (17, 31); Domachowski (45); Webber (76)

Cons: Sweeney (18, 31)


15.Aaron Bramwell. 14.Lewis Evans. 13.Mike Callow. 12.Ross Wardle (Connor Edwards). 11.Adam Williams (Ryan Davies). 10.Steffan Jones. 9.Tom Rowlands (Luke Crane).

1.Bryn Toms (Jack Williams). 2.Alun Rees (Ellis Shipp). 3.Rhys Hutcherson (Dan Preece). 4.Geraint Edmunds (Ben Thompson). 5.James Richards. 6.Nathan Hudd (Gareth Allen). 7.George Lee – cpt. 8.Andrew Waite.

Tries: A.Williams (32); Edwards (64); Jones (80+3)

Con: Evans (65)

Pen: Jones (2)

Golden Bob man of the match:- Dale Stuckey

WRU man of the match:- Alun Lawrence

Referee:-  Craig Evans

Attendance:- 1,650