Ernest "Ernie" Edward George played club rugby for a variety of teams, but is most associated with Pontypridd and Cardiff. George was capped three times for Wales between 1895 and 1896.
Ernest George was born in Llantwit Major on February 4th 1871. Around 1878 he moved with his parents to Hannah Street, Porth, where his father owned a carpenters shop. After leaving school he started his 'Football' playing career with Penygraig, who were a rising team in the valley. He eventually joined Pontypridd in 1893, and in the summer of the following year he was elected club captain for the 1894-95 season. Representative honours soon came his way, though that season for Pontypridd was disastrous due to a bad playing record and severe weather conditions. After representing Glamorgan he gained two Welsh international caps as a forward, against Scotland and Ireland. The following season he moved on to Cardiff, where he gained another cap, however, after less than a season he moved to Plymouth, where he represented the town club and Devon County. Why he moved to Plymouth, his daughter, Mrs Fred Heron, who told me here father’s story, did not know. But he appears to have taken up the licensed victuallers profession. He seems to have had a nomadic playing career, making a guest appearance for Portsmouth in Treherbert in 1899. He also played for London Welsh on a tour of the North of England the same year.
In 1897, he once again returned to Pontypridd, and was made captain for the 1897-98 season, which result wise appeared to be a much better one than his last stint as club captain. Unfortunately, he went on his travels again halfway through the season, and his vice captain took over In 1921, after several years as a publican, he moved his family back to Wales and took over the Plasnewydd hotel in Bargoed. Later he ran the Oxford Arms, in The Hayes, Cardiff. His hotel became a regular watering hole for ex-international players before the match on international days.
Ernie George passed away on the 28th of November 1952.